Hey everyone!! This week has brought about some huge changes for Nicholas. He had his first shower (we are working on getting him able to take charge of shower time all by him self), he asked me (yes, I just said "asked me") to make him a chore chart, and he attended Kindergarten roundup at our local elementary!
Now, to explain more about the chore chart...it is on a website called Handipoints.com
He watches Sid the Science Kid on PBS almost every morning and one day, after viewing an episode where Sid had a chore chart, he asked me for one. We have it setup so that as he completes and marks off his chores as done, I go back and "grade" him on his chores and he accumulates points. Once he gets so many points, he gets $5.00 from us as an allowance to use on whatever he wants to. The nice thing for me is that sometimes when he doesn't do a chore well, his grade reflects it because I grade him on it. For instance, the other night...he took a shower (one of his hygiene chores), but he cried the entire time. So, when I graded him on it, I gave him a D. He only got a portion of his points for that chore. He did great when he put his laundry away, so he received an A an got all the points available for it. In addition on this site, there is a place called Handiland where he gets to play games and walk around using his virtual pet cat that he calls "Overboard." He got to name him and pick his coloring...and if/when we are able to afford it and still want to, we can pay to have the service and his other points he earns can go toward "buying" clothes and accessories for his cat. Kind of like a WebKinz, I guess. I am not sure because I have never checked out Webkinz. For right now we just use it for the chore list.
Kindergarten roundup was fun for him. He went yesterday and got to know a teacher and some of the students that he will go to school with. He made a butterfly and read a book while all of us parents were introduced to Kindergarten. Sitting there while the principal spoke to us kind of made me feel like I was going to school. We were lectured on attendance and what kinds of foods we can bring to school. They are much more strict now days about what you can send to school with your kids for food. You would think it would be common sense stuff like allergy-foods..but they actually stressed candy much more. Even if there is a birthday party, you cannot bring cake to your child's class. I actually kind of liked that aspect. One really cool thing...We DON'T have to buy school supplies. They are all provided from the money they make at their first big fundraiser. They encouraged us to donate to that instead. Works for me!! Now I will only need to buy school clothes and school supplies for Christian. Way cool!!!
Tomorrow we (all 4 of us) are going to the Ranching Heritage Center for Ranch Days. They do this every year. I'll try to get some pictures and post them. We are stoked because Daddy gets to go with us.
You all have a great weekend!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment