What a crazy past few days!
This is potentially a wordy post, so I will try to limit myself as much as possible since I have to pack for our trip tomorrow. Yesterday, after Doc left for his latest away rotation, we took the boys to Bert’s field trip at the local park. An easter egg hunt and snacks ensued. We had a great time!
Got home and pulled off Ernie’s socks and shoes to find little red bites on his ankles forming right along the line where his socks ended on his ankles. I asked him if it hurt or itched, and he said no. I figured chiggers and went along my way.
Fast forward bath time, I am cleaning Ernie off and his red “bites” are now the size of nickels and his ankles are swollen. I panicked a little, but called my husband who finally picked up the phone. Explained to him the new find on his ankles (I had mentioned to him earlier the “bites” I found) and he told me to take him to the walk in clinic.
Got to the clinic, and their computers were down. I forgot my insurance card at home and they turned me away until I could produce the card. Called Doc back and he called his friend who graduated med school with him. Doc H said to bring him up to the ER and call him before I got there. He’d see us. Doc H is a pediatrician who runs the pedi-ER. He’s very reliable and great at what he does. He cared for Ernie when we had to admit him to the hospital when he was only 2 weeks old.
Doc H told us that he has HSP. (you can read about it on the HSP link) I won’t go into detail other than to say that his rash that he has will get worse before it gets better, it involves swelling and arthritic pain of the joints, and lasts about 6-12 weeks. He has to have urinalysis tests for a while to have blood in his urine ruled out. He can also get colicky stomach pain with it (thankfully he hasn’t gotten that). The rash started on his ankles and is now starting to appear on his elbows as well. It doesn’t itch, thank goodness. Oh, and only 15 in 100,000 cases are found each year. CRAZY!!
He appears to have a mild case, which 95% of them are. This can recur but mainly occurs in childhood and to boys.
He had no blood in his urine today (yay!) and his blood count was normal (yay!). He did have protein in his urine that indicated HSP and his blood tests confirmed it.
The cause of all this??? It is a reaction to an infection. Guess who has strep throat AGAIN? I didn’t even know it!!! Ernie tested positive today, and we now have him on meds. If you remember correctly, I think I posted that he was sick just a month ago (then again, maybe I didn’t. Don’t remember). He had strep throat then too. JEESH!
Now, another kicker?
I’ve been drinking after him ALL WEEK. Guess who’s going in for a strep swab tomorrow morning before we leave for our trip? Also, our pedi was nice enough to also swab Bert too.
Whew!
These past two days have been crazy.
No comments:
Post a Comment